Friday, May 14, 2010

Loving Confrontation

There are times when it is important to deal directly with a problem.

I listened to someone say that to have a real relationship with someone, not a shallow/superficial one you have to go through valleys of truth, but that you come out on the other side having a meaningful relationship that has grown.

Conflict is hard, confrontation is something most of us avoid if we can. But as I listened to this man say these things I thought about a friendship I had. I tried facing the issue and having a difficult conversation instead of repressing it (which is hardly ever good) and in return got flat affect and dispassionate responses.

Then, slowly and with further pain I realized that really what I thought was a close relationship was me making effort and when in the presence of this person getting a response, but not ever being reached out to…

Construction on that bridge has stopped and oddly enough it appears to have started decaying. No one else is there to work on it.

Hard lesson learned.

But really, it doesn't end there, for you see, I have also learned to be more discerning and that confrontation always teaches you something. Even if that lesson isn't one you would prefer.

Just be prayerful and include a person who will be there to call you out if you are harsh in your tone or being unChristlike.

1 comment:

Mike said...

If ignorance is bliss, then wisdom must be hard. God gives wisdom to those who want it. May He always give you the strength to accept His gifts.

It's good to read a post by you again. God always uses your insights to reach me with truth. Thanks for sharing.