Sunday, March 02, 2014

Thankful



Two years ago I cried out to God in absolute desperation.  I was almost 200 pounds, and miserable about it.  I knew that if God weren’t in the middle of it, I would never lose weight permanently.  My constant cycle of mindless eating, or comfort-eating would persist and I would be back where I started or heavier.

This decision came right before Christmas, what good timing, being mindful that overeating is so easy when with family enjoying time together, it looked like maybe that was the perfect opportunity.

My first challenge was no soda for two months.  By changing my diet, I lost 28 pounds, and then plateaued.  I had to fight my way thru the next 10 and by that I mean, pray, pray, and pray some more.

One purifying diet (*gag* Fiber is so icky!) and then another one half a year later (*GAG* FIBER is STILL ICKY!) and I realized refined flour and sugar were not my friends.

Adding exercise to an already hectic schedule is so difficult, but working out with Mom for almost 20 days and then when not with her working out at home, there was more progress, another five pounds.

Irony: sitting in Chic-fil-a (not ALWAYS eating well, obviously), someone looks straight at me and says, “Do you want to start working out at the gym?”  He didn’t know what I had already been doing.  For like ten seconds I considered it and then chickened out because… well, that was just a bit too intimidating for me.

That was two months ago, I changed my mind… and that’s another six pounds. (for those that don’t wish to add it, that’s 49lbs).

I don’t know why God cares, but He does and I am thankful.

3 comments:

Mike said...

That's a wonderful testimony! And congrats on the payoff for your hard work... I suspect God cares because He sees you are willing to work at it as well. Of course, ultimately, He cares because He's crazy mad in love with you. Which is a grace I will never tire of trying to wrap my head around.

Heather said...

I see God in so many different ways that are apart from my own life. In the old horse that lives in my front yard, in the dew drops on the leaves, in the pages of a book... but lately I've seen God molding my heart more than I think I ever have... just thinking that overwhelms me.

Thanks Mike ;-)

Angela H. said...

Heather, I am so proud of you! :) You are beautiful inside and out. I miss you and love you very much. Your story is inspiring and a blessing.