Thursday, March 04, 2010

Island revisited

Christians are a disheartening lot. Whichever way the wind is blowing that’s the way they bend. I pause to question if that’s what I’m doing right now. My heart is trouble. What I want more than anything is to quit this thing called “church” or “corporate worship.”

The problem is that this I am the one considering these options. ME… and I pause because what if God has a plan that I cannot see in the middle of all the junk, what if right now the lesson I should be learning is that leaving conflict and confrontation behind at this church will only find me in the same state with different people at a different church?

I’m 30, I’ve watched people come and go in church my entire life… I didn’t notice it much until I was about 13, but it’s a trend. The fashionable thing to do… search for a church… try it on and decide if it’s a good “fit” for the individual or family. God is not apparel, so why do we do this?

My speculation would be that because we are fault-filled, sinful, selfish people we look out for ourselves before we consider the God-sized picture surrounding our lives—this world so much bigger than you or me.

Mind you, it is not the intention of this post to claim leaving one church for a different church is not of God motivated. Surely God moves us from our place of complacency to one of action and sometimes that means a different body of believers in a different geographical location (even if that location is just a few blocks away).

I simply fight the battle of those who desire to leave the extra junk behind and do the work God gives us without adding to it, “church” is not always the best example or facilitator to doing the Lord’s will.

Wistfully I think, “An island would sure be nice.”

No comments: