Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fit for this job…

Yesterday at work I began to question further my ability to work with children in high stress situations.

Why? Well because there were two young people in the library. A dating couple, the young man was rather loud and in her face. The young lady was quiet, and flinched when he got so close I could barely see air between them.

Clearly they have a history. I do not pretend to know it all, but what portions I do know based upon their frequent visits and my instincts, suggests a less than pleasant relationship. So after his exit and return from the building (at least ten times) and a brief conversation with her in the bathroom, I called the police.

You see, I left my position at the circulation desk while he was barring her way into the bathroom… walked straight up to them and stated, “You need to let her go.” In that split second wherein the words left my mouth and I began to question my ability to MAKE him let her go, I realized I had no way of truly defending her, or myself. He isn’t a big guy (praise the Lord) and he had enough sense to let her go. But still, he was angry and I didn’t have any other words to say.

I just don’t know if I am capable of dealing with that kind of incident with parents involved, or even with several youth or children. I mean really, I get seriously emotional. Not just tears, but anger and frustration.

That aside, in a library filled with people I am beyond baffled that not one other person bothered to step up and help that girl.

2 comments:

Mike said...

That was a very intense situation, and one you handled as well as anyone could. It wasn't easy, but God gave you what you needed in this situation, and I suspect He would in future situations.

As far as your bafflement, people are lame, self-involved, and generally guided (whether they realize it or not) by various and sundry fears.

angelwings said...

You can do it. God will give you strength and help you through as he always has and will. You've had people come into yourlife with all sorts of...backgrounds/testimonies and God gave you the words,the couragee and the strength to stand up for them. So why wouldn't you continue your dream? You've been an inspiration, and saved lives in the process. Being emotional makes you a person, so many don't have the desire to help like you or even be compassionate, so keep moving forward